Herkula history

HERKULA always in motion

The company history of HERKULA goes back to the year 1894. The company´s place of origin is Krefeld (Germany). Since the 1950s the tireless commitment, farsightedness, determination and sense of responsibility of Mr. Bodo Franke has led to an exceptional industrial success story and to international awareness of our company. Since Mr. Bodo Franke died, at 25th of January, 2012, the company, which is now fully owned by the charitable foundation "Stiftung Bodo und Jutta Franke Deutschland", is managed in this spirit.

The milestones of the corporate development are summarized in the following timeline:

2015

Our laboratory has successful eliminate all ecological-critical solvents, binders and additives in numerous solvent-based Herkula products. Moreover we developed solvent-based gravure printing inks for the cable industry which are non-hazardous to health and environmentally friendly.

Furthermore the year 2015 was marked by an active presence at international fairs such as WIRE South East Asia in Bangkok, Cable & Wire India in New Delhi, SVIAZ/ EXPO COMM in Moscow, WIRE South America in Sao Paolo, Kunststoffen in Veldhoven (The Netherlands), and MIDEST in Paris.

2014

Certifications of the managements systems ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 have been extended by AIB Vinçotte International SA Brussels until December 18th, 2017

2013

From now on the Herkula Internet presence has a new face. www.herkula.com not only has a neat design, but also got a completely new content. The extensive rejuvenating cure has been done in order to present our products and the company Herkula in a modern, informative and customer-oriented style. Just take a look at the following pages. You will surely appreciate our new face!

2011

On the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Belgian Herkula company, the laboratory has been renewed completely and equipped with numerous more measuring and testing equipment

2008

Launch of Tight Buffer materials for Fiber to the Home (FTTH)

2006

Thermostable UV resins (150 °C long term stress) was brought onto the market

2004

Development of flame retardant UV resins (FRNC, ZH) for glas fiber industry

2003

Marketing of water-based ring-marking inks for PVC and PE

2002

Herkula is certified to ISO 9001:2000

2002

Herkula is certified to ISO 14001

1994

Almost complete replacement of solvent-based inks by UV inks for grain printing

1993

Herkula is certified to ISO 9001

1989

Spread of grain printing (wood imitation) on plastics

1988

Beginnings of the printing of panels with solvent-based inks and later UV inks

1984

Presentation of UV-curable inks for optical fibres

1978

Introduction of UV-curable coatings

1974

Opening of the “Farbwerke Herkula St. Vith S.A.” by King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola.

1971

Foundation of the “Farbwerke Herkula St. Vith S.A.”

1970

Introduction of solvent-based and water-based coatings for plastics, such as PVC, ABS, PP, PA and others for the automotive industry

1954

Development of special inks and varnishes for ring marking, gravure and offset printing for PVC and PE insulated wires and cables

1952

Production of gravure printing inks and inks and varnishes for PVC films

1950

Marketing of inks and varnishes for industry

1906

Registration of the brand “Herkula – water-soluble ink” with the Imperial Patent Office 93340.

1894

Founded in Krefeld, Germany as a manufacturer of weatherproof, mineral-based inks

Product search

Select a product here

Cable industryPlastic printing

Newsletter Inscription